An Australian Franchisee Case Study
Name: Robert Nolan
Location: Frankston South
Franchise: Jim’s Fencing (Frankston South)
Why did you choose franchising?
I wanted to have my own business but I wanted to have some support to help me get started and to be there if I needed help.
What did you do before taking up your Jim’s Fencing franchise?
Branch Manager at retail stores
How did you raise the finance?
Borrowed from Bank
What training and support did you receive initially and ongoing?
- 8 week training with Jims Fencing
- Monthly meeting gives support
- On-going support – if I have any questions I just need to ask my trainer
What is a typical day for you as a Jim’s Fencing franchisee?
- On site at 7:00am
- Start job demolishing a fence,
- Start erecting the new fence.
- Quotes in afternoon if necessary.
- Write up quotes when get home.
What challenges have you faced?
- Cash Flow when I first started.
- Estimating how long jobs will take.
- Managing expenses
Has becoming a franchisee changed your life, if so how?
Becoming a Jim’s Fencing franchisee has:
- Taken the stress from my old job
- Made my home life easier to pick up kids, take kids to kinda, etc
- Allowed me to work outside rather than in an office which I enjoy a lot
- Allowed me to work my own hours.
What advice would you give to someone thinking of buying their first franchise?
Speak to as many people as possible. Speak to people in the industry before buying your franchise.
What are your plans for the future?
To run a successful business that can employ others and can give me the lifestyle that my family are happy with.
Would you do it again?