Australian Franchise News – 16-09-14
The SPAR Australia annual Gala Awards Dinner was held at Jupiters Gold Coast on 23rd August 2014 as the concluding event of the SPAR Australia Trade Show. Over 300 Retailers, Suppliers and Media, as well as the Directors and staff of SPAR Australia joined to celebrate the achievements of SPAR Retailers over the last year.
This is the third year of the new and improved SPAR Retail Awards Program which identifies and recognises those Retailers who are excelling in their businesses. Through communication of the judging criteria and many hours spent in stores by the Regional Business Managers, stores have had the opportunity to strive for recognition under this program.
It saw Department & Category Awards judged at Regional Level with awards presented at the June Regional Meetings. Regional Award Winners became the short listed stores for the National Department and Category Awards, while the Special Awards were judged at National Level only. The awards were presented by SPAR Australia Managing Director, Mr Lou Jardin and SPAR Guild Council Deputy Chair, Mr Bob Little.
The nominees were each of a high calibre and resulted in significant competition for the awards. In a night designed to acknowledge the Retailers who partnered with SPAR Australia to drive growth for businesses, SPAR would like to congratulate the following Retailers on their success in their respective categories:
- SPAR Store of the Year 2014 – SPAR Molong
- SPAR Express Store of the Year 2014 – SPAR Express Oxenford
- 5 STAR Store of the Year 2014 – 5 STAR Dunedoo
- Affiliate Store of The Year 2014 – Carrington Grocer
Department awards were awarded to the following stores, for not only out shining their competitors in their local communities with their fresh and high quality products, but for ensuring their offer is constantly at a high level for their customers. Congratulations to the following Retailers for their success in the Department Awards:
- Grocery Department Of The Year 2014 – SPAR Malanda
- Produce Department Of The Year 2014 – SPAR Maclean
- Meat Department Of The Year 2014 – SPAR Molong
- Deli Department Of The Year 2014 – SPAR North Parramatta
- Bakery Department Of The Year 2014 – SPAR Molong
- Dairy / Freezer Department Of The Year 2014 – SPAR Evans Head
- General Merchandise Department Of The Year 2014 – SPAR Molong
The Special Awards were highly contended this year and congratulations goes to the following successful Retailers:
- Fresh Food Excellence Award 2014 – SPAR North Parramatta
- Brand Ambassador of the Year Award 2014 – Geoff & Tracie Batzloff
- Community Support Excellence Award 2014 – SPAR Winton
- Gold Star Tobacco Award 2014 – SPAR Express Wynnum
- Customer Service Excellence Award 2014 – SPAR Maclean
- Store Investment Excellence Award 2014 – SPAR Evans Head
- Pride Of Workmanship Award 2014 – Susan Watts of SPAR Express New Auckland
In addition to the awards presented to Retailers, two suppliers were recognised for their stands at the Trade Show. SPAR would like to congratulate the following suppliers on their success in the stand awards and thank them for the effort they put into the event:
- Small Supplier Stand 2014 – Cakes n More
- Large Supplier Stand 2014 – Coca-Cola Amatil
Lou Jardin also presented two SPAR Australia Staff Awards to show appreciation for the commitment and contribution these staff have given to the SPAR Australia business:
- Category Manager Excellence Award 2014 – Cory Nichols
- Regional Business Manager Excellence Award 2014 – Andy Rouse
SPAR Australia would like to congratulate all Retailers who were nominated in the 2014 SPAR Retail Awards and made the judging process an extremely competitive one, particularly those Retailers who were successful at the National level.
Since becoming Managing Director of SPAR Australia in December 2010, Lou Jardin has vowed to continue to provide competition at the wholesale level, ensuring independent Retailers are able to source deals that allow them to compete in the market and ensure the survival of family businesses in the grocery industry.
Locally owned and operated, SPAR stores are part of the worldwide SPAR family. Over 12,331 SPAR stores across 35 countries meet the needs of over 13 million customers daily. At SPAR our customers can be assured of great service, a great range, low prices every day and specials that will SAVE them money!